The Reichstag, the seat of the German parliament, is one of Berlin's most historic landmarks. The building, which is located close to the Brandenburg Gate, was renovated after German reunification and now features a striking glass dome.
The building was constructed between 1884 and 1894, mainly funded with wartime reparation money from France, a result of Prussia's defeat of France in 1871. The famous inscription 'Dem Deutschen Volke' (To the German People) was added later, in 1916, by Emperor William II. The bronze letters were cast from seized French cannons.