The headquarters of the United Nations in New York were developed by an international team of architects. The main building, the Secretariat, was one of the city's first skyscrapers in International Style.
In 1946, the United Nations (UN) were looking for a location for their new headquarters in New York. The original plan was to use the grounds of the 1939 World Fair in Flushing Meadow Park in Queens. But when a project known as X-City on Manhattan's eastern border failed to materialize, John D. Rockefeller Jr. bought the 18 acre (7 ha) plot and donated it to the United Nations. This site was then used to build the UN's headquarters. The whole area was converted into international territory and officially does not belong to the United States.